Saturday, January 19, 2019

Jan.19,2019

Fact: After we moved from Berthel Ave. we moved to the first house that mom and dad bought. It was back on Wayne St.  I was about 12 years old when we moved there.  I went to Wolfdale school and then on to High School at Trinity already mentioning that I did not move but mom and dad moved to Bridgeville when I was a Jr. and Bill and Louise moved into this house.  Guess I was like the monkey earlier.  I went with the house.  When mom and dad came back to Washington, we still moved to a place off Baird Ave. and then to Baird Ave.  I was along on there moves as I could still go to Trinity.  We then moved back into the house at Wayne St. and I lived there until I was married.  
Memories: I do not remember too much about the days of Goat Hill but Wolfdale I do.  I was getting old enough to start running around with friends.  I do remember a couple earlier things, but do not remember where we lived at the time.  I was 10 and Bill and Louise lived in York, Pa. at the time.  They had come home and I went back to York with them.  I remember a couple things that stood out in my mind about this trip.  I was over at Louise's mom's and dad's and Bill and some of Louise"s brothers were messing around and got into a water fight.  Louise's dad came home and he had been drinking and he got angry about what the boys had done and it was the first time I ever heard the F word and it scared me to death. Another thing I remember about this trip was I came home alone.  I got a bus and had to change buses in Gettysburg and then change to streetcar in Pittsburgh to get to Washington.  My first job was babysitting and I started doing that when I was about 10 and I remember going to Canonsburg and staying with some relatives children for a few days by myself.  Had to cook and wash while I was there.  My first public job was working at Len's restaurant on Jefferson Ave.  I was 14 and made 35cents a hour.  
Reflections: Changed world isn't it?  I can not imagine letting someone who was 10 watching my kids even when they were little, or taking a trip like I did.  I do think it would not hurt kids to have more responsibility and working at a young age was not a bad thing.  It let me be able to buy some things I wanted and we knew our parents did not have money for.  I have never regretted these things.  I think these things get young people ready for life.  It is not always easy, it is not always fun, but if you work you can reach for things and enjoy life.  
  
Pictures and articles.  

Here are two of the aunts that Dad and Uncle Lawrence stayed with.  I am not sure which is Lydia and which is Priscilla.


  Here is one of the letters Lydia wrote to Grandpap Spragg.  They must have meant alot to him as he kept them for a lot of years.  





 

No comments:

Post a Comment