Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Jan.8, 2019

Fact: 31 years ago today my favorite grand daughter was born in San Antonio, Texas.  She always tells me she is my only grand daughter but I tell her I am sure she would be my favorite if there were more.
Back to history.  I guess I remember living at my  Grandpap Spragg's the most of the places we lived at growing up pre-teen years. We had no electric, nor gas.  We used the lamps that you had to fill up and had a wick that burned.  We did have water that came into the kitchen sink that was gravity feed by a spring.  I remember they kept a rag tied on it so a lizard did not come in with the water.  We had a wood cook stove that had 4 burners and a large well that held water so you could dip hot water out and along the top was a warming oven to keep the food warm after being cooked.  We also had a path  to the outhouse.  While we were there they did bring gas through and we had gas lights after that. We lived about two miles or so from town and we either walked or went in horse and wagon, if they were going to buy more than could be carried. 
Memories: I remember when we lived at Grandpap Spraggs, he had a team of horses.  One was named Doc and I do not remember the other ones name.  Of course they were used for everything, doing the hay to pulling the wagon to town and back.  I remember when they made hay they would put it in shocks and then use one of the horses and they would put a long pole under the shock and it had a rope on it that they would loop over the hay and it would pull tight to hold it together and they would drag it to the wagon and load it on to take to barn.  I remember getting to ride the horse while they were doing this.  It would be taken by wagon to the barn and the wagon was put it the barn and there was a big hook that they could lower and grab the hay and they would pull it up into the hay loft. 
Reflections: It is hard to believe today that they could make enough money with a few milk cows and what they could get off the farm to feed a family.  I do not remember ever going hungry, or not having clothes to wear. I do not remember having toys to play with but we did not need them when we had a creek to play in, a pet ground hog and so any things to keep a kid busy.  Happy memories, money can not buy.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment